Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A glutton for punishment...

You know, an editor once told me that everyone who took a job in publishing was a patron of books, because we all make less in this business than we would anywhere else. I'm not sure this is 100% true, but I'm fairly certainly it's true for many. But, then again, we do get a lot of free books!

So, since I work in publishing, maybe I'm predisposed to being a glutton for punishment. Surely as an agent I experience more than my fair of rejection, though it's on behalf of my clients. Mostly, I think that's been invaluable in my dating life. After all, if publishing hadn't taught me about rejection so well, I might have given up on dating a long time ago!

Fortunately, though, my dating life is going well and I've just returned from San Diego where I was visiting my new girlfriend (having, apparently, exhausted all of the single Jewish women in New York City). For those authors who have patiently been awaiting word regarding their sample chapters and proposals, I'm sorry to report that I read and rejected about 33 over the weekend, but did find one project I'd like to pursue. I've spoken with the author and we'll see how that turns out once he speaks to his writing partner.

While in San Diego (where I think it was twenty degrees cooler), my gf and I took a little ride with the local Team in Training chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Those who read my website and entries on Absolute Write know that I'm very involved with this organization. Now my gf is also, and we are training on opposite coasts for El Tour de Tucson in November (111 miles!). I'm a mentor this time around, having ridden two centuries already with TNT this year. As a mentor, I'll be trying to help folks get comfortable on the bike, learn the basics, and, last but not least, fundraise. Yes, I'm about to ask you for money.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to finding a way to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Since its founding in 1949, the Society has invested more than $360 million for research specifically targeting blood cancers. But beyond the dollars, I've met people who literally have had their lives changed by both the Society and TNT. And you can help change more lives too by supporting my efforts on this ride. So, whether it's $50, $100, $250 or $500, I hope you can chip in and help make a difference. Remember all donations are 100% tax deductible.

If you'd like to donate, please make your check out to the "Leukemia and Lymphoma Society" and send it to The Zack Company, Inc., 243 West 70th St., Ste 8D, New York, NY 10023-4366 and I'll forward it to the Society (they want us to organize them and then send them all in). Or you can go online and donate right now with your credit card at www.active.com/donate/tntnyc/tntnycAZackTucson.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration, and thanks in advance for your support.

Z

P.S. For reasons I don't quite get, this is a short season in terms of fundraising and training (other chapters started a month ago), so please be sure to get your donations in earlier rather than later. Thanks!

P.P.S. If you are feeling inspired and would rather join TNT, visit
www.teamintraining.org for details.

P.P.P.S. DISCLAIMER: Donating to my efforts with TNT will in no way increase the chances that your work will receive representation through my firm. It will, however, be a really good thing you've done that day, so if you haven't already helped a little old lady across the street today, get out your checkbook or credit card....

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.