Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A Handy New Tool for Authors and Agents

As a small business owner, I find that I have to be my own tech support guru, janitor, and chief bottle washer. Interestingly enough, this has resulted in friends of mine at major corporations calling me up with questions on how to do things in Microsoft Word or Outlook. Not that I necessarily know more than their Help Desk guys, but I tend to return calls faster.

Which brings me to a bit of an advertisement. I have been using a program called Message Tag (MSGTAG) for a while now and I have to admit I like it. There’s a free version and a couple of versions you can buy. I just bought the big version and actually signed up to become an affiliate, which means if you click the link and buy it, I get a fee. The same is true if you click through to Amazon.com from my site or on one of those Google ads. I find that it helps pay for the cost of my website over the year and, well, why shouldn’t I make a buck if there’s a buck to be made?

Which brings me back to MSGTAG and why I think it’s something for authors and agents to consider.

I make the majority of my submissions by email. Now, I could use Outlook’s Read Receipt, but users can turn that off or refuse it. They can’t do the same with MSGTAG. It’s automatic and, well, beyond their control. Yes, I’m aware that some people find that intrusive, but to me, it’s a way to confirm safe receipt of an email without worrying or making a follow-up call. So this actually saves me and the editor on the other end some time and aggravation.

There are agents who take email submissions (I’m not one of them, but they are out there) and this system will let an author know if their query by email was received and read, without having to bother the agent. Too often, I send off a submission and find out months later that the editor never got it. MSGTAG Status gives you a dashboard that shows which of your emails have been read and which have not. And those are the folks I can now give a call and ask to check their spam folder for the submission, or otherwise just check their email for my submission.

Sold? Then click on the image below and check it out.



Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.