Monday, October 29, 2007

Putting the bite on the vampire market...

For the past five years, I've been devoting nearly every moment of my spare time
to writing a vampire fantasy/romance novel--originally out of fascination, though I'd like it if I could get published. It's targeted to a sort of in-beteweeny market, for people who don't read young adult novels like the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer, yet still don't quite feel like taking the plunge with hard-core material like the Anita Blake series by L. K. Hamilton.

I was just wondering, since you have the inside scoop on all this goodness: Is the market looking for more novels like those (as well as all the ones in the middle) or is it just getting started? I know that Anne Rice's fans have been around for decades, but it seems like the pattern has changed a bit--more mainstream and less literary than before. I'm seeing vampires in the newspaper more and more often...is it a fad or a new era?

I think vampires are one of those areas that ebb and flow. I remember when L.K. Hamilton was just starting out and no one imagined where she would end up. Now that I see a terrible vampire series on TV, I wonder if it might not mark the beginning of the end. Yes, editors still ask me about them, and yes, they will continue to be a romance/erotic sub-genre, but I don't know that the world is looking for "yet another." But if you have great characters and good writing, you'll usually find that's enough, vampires included or not.

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.