Thursday, October 04, 2007

Looking for...Historical Fiction...and Women's Fiction...

They are painting in my office today, so I am sitting here at a folding table with my laptop and the entire contents of my office on the floor beside me. And I'm slightly fuddled by the paint fumes. So this might not be the most coherent blog entry ever written. Oh, and just to up the ante, my neighbor's kid is practicing his trumpet and I think he's playing the Dreidel song. Kind of werid, since I'm fairly sure he's Korean and I've never met a Korean Jew. Have you?

I've been threat—I mean promising—to start outlining my fiction interests and what types I'm looking for now that we are once again open to new queries. So here we go. I'm looking for....

  • Historical Fiction

But what is "historical fiction?" How far in the past does something need to be set to be called "historical fiction?" I'm going to try and make this easier. For me, historical fiction is set prior to the 20th century. Simple, right?

But historical fiction is one of those genres that breaks down to many differrent sub-genres, for example, there are Mysteries, Thrillers, and Romance novels that all fall into Historical Fiction. There could be Historical Military Fiction and Historical Literary Fiction. Please keep this in mind, as all could be of interest.

Which brings me to an announcement: Those of you who are very familiar with The Zack Company know that historically (yes, the pun was intended) we have not handled very much in the way of...

  • Commercial Women's Fiction
  • Literary Women's Fiction
  • Romance Fiction, including Romantic Suspense and Paranormal Romance
  • Chick Lit
  • Smart women's fiction that isn't Chick Lit or Romance

...but now we are. Why is that you ask? Well, there are a number of reasons:

  1. I'm married now and wifey needs more to read;
  2. The majority of my interns are women and many are fans of these categories;
  3. Fifty percent of all books sold in the United States each year fall into those categories.

In short, it's good business. Do I have the track record in these genres that I have in others? No. There is no hiding that this is new terrority for my firm. Which may make us very attractive to many authors. We are not as jaded and cynical as many hardcore women's fiction agents may be. So try us out. I think you'll be glad you did.

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.