Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Long-Awaited Submissions Status Update

I promised a while ago to reconcile the folder of what I think I have on-hand with what I actually have on-hand and I've spent the afternoon taking care of this.  There were definitely a few things that seemed to still be on-hand but weren't.  But the authors of those projects should already have received our responses, so it really does no harm to have had them.  It would be much worse the other way, if I didn't know I had something I had.

Okay, now that you're likely confused, here's where we stand:
  • 29 sample chapters on-hand
  • 4 proposals on-hand
  • 7 full manuscripts on-hand, plus waiting on 2 revised manuscripts from current clients that will move to the top of the pile
I have requested and am waiting to receive:
  • 3 sample chapters
  • 1 proposal
  • 4 full manuscripts
For those of you who are keeping score at home and trying to determine where your project may be in the list, here's something that may help.  Every project that comes in gets a number.  We generally read in the order of those numbers, but I should emphasize that manuscripts do not necessary get read in the order of the numbers because they take longer to read.  For example, the oldest sample chapter I have is #471.  The cover letter is dated July 20, 2008.

The oldest manuscript I have is #497 and the cover letter is dated...oh, crap, it's not dated.  For Pete's sake, people, date your letters!  Well, it can't be that old, because the interns ripped through so many manuscripts we were pretty caught up by the end of the summer.

So, if you submitted to me and your cover letter was dated before July 20th, I'd say you should have heard from us by now.  Remember, unless you are an Express Review client, if we pass on your work, you'll just get a form reject on any sample chapter or manuscript.  That said, if I have an intern do a first read on your book and we decide to pass, the intern will usually be assigned to write you a rejection letter that let's you know his or her thoughts.

But right now I have no interns....

Okay, so there you have it.  Combine that with $3.75 and you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Z


No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.