Monday, May 24, 2010

If he can do it, you can do it. Or at least contribute....

When I met my wife, I was training with Team in Training for my first century bike ride.  While we were dating, I knocked out that first one and another one in three weeks, both with TNT and both to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  I decided to do a third that year and I talked my girlfriend (now wife) into doing it, El Tour de Tucson.  But since I was living in NYC and she was living in San Diego, she had to sign up with the San Diego chapter and I trained with NYC, but did a few rides with the San Diego chapter when I was visiting.

Team in Training has mentors who assist new riders, both on the road and off, in getting through the training and the fund-raising.  Nadene had one mentor, Ted Wilcox, who has become a bit of an inspiration to us.  You see, not only has Ted beaten leukemia once and gone on to do century bike rides, he's beaten it (fingers crossed; it's only been a couple of years) a second time and gone on to do triathlons and more.

Ted, who is a US Navy veteran and all-around nice guy, is now training for a new tri with TNT, so he's fund-raising again.  My fund-raising for my Tahoe century is pretty much complete, so I'd like to help out Ted.  Here's the offer:

If you donate $100 to Ted's fund-raising account at http://pages.teamintraining.org/sd/sdtrcla10/twilcoxzdf, you can submit a sample chapter (up to 25 pages total) and synopsis (up to 5 pages double-spaced) to me without having to query me first.  Your donation is 100% tax deductible and goes to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  I receive no benefit other than a warm and fuzzy feeling.  Include your receipt from your online donation with your sample chapter.  I will respond to all such submissions personally and there will be no form rejects.  If I like it, I will ask for more.  If I do not, I will explain in a one-to-two-page letter why I think it is not for me or what I feel doesn't work about it.  This offer expires on the event day:  9/18/2010.*

For manuscript formatting guidelines, please see:  http://www.zackcompany.com/ms-prep-tips.html.

Thanks very much.

Z

*Taking advantage of this offer and making a donation in no way improves your chance of getting representation.  It only allows you to bypass the query-letter stage and ensures you a personal response to your material rather than a form reject if we pass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.