Monday, October 31, 2011

Intuit Payment Network Adds Credit Card Processing

If you've never heard of the Intuit Payment Network, I don't blame you.  I can't say that I feel they are marketing it much, since I rarely see mention of it online anywhere.  But if you are, or you are a regular reader of this blog, you know I've written about the major weakness of IPN:  it didn't process credit cards.  Well, now it does.

I've previously written that IPN appears to be competing with PayPay, but that it didn't want to compete with QuickBooks' built-in credit-card processing, so it wasn't an option.  They seem to have "cut the baby in half," so to speak at Intuit.  There now is credit-card processing via IPN, but it's not within QuickBooks and requires more steps than the built-in processing does.  Still, at least it's offered and there are no monthly fees, as there are with the built-in feature.  However, the processing fees are higher with IPN than with PayPal, at least if my math is correct.  So how can they expect to compete with PayPal?

I posted a comment on the IPN blog at http://ipnteam.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/coming-soon-donate-buttons-for-non-profits-credit-card-on-payment-requests-and-a-slick-new-home-page/, but they apparently didn't approve the comment or don't moderate comments very often.

My other peeve is that IPN is supposed to "sync" with QuickBooks, at least if you have Intuit Sync Manager running.  This is to save you the double-entry that you have to do with PayPal.  If it worked, it would be one advantage IPN has over PayPal.  Except it doesn't work.  And when I called Support there for assistance, they said the issue would be escalated and that was the last I heard.

Ironically, I just completed one of those online questionnaires from Intuit, asking me what I thought of their customer service.  The last question was, "On a scale of 1 to 10...I think QuickBooks values me as a customer."  I answered zero.

QuickBooks continues to be that kid that you know that you sense wants to do right, wants to be good, yet can't stop sticking his foot in his mouth or acting out.  The lack of coordination and planning is apparent.  As always, I keep wanting QuickBooks to be better, to do better.  But the waiting continues.

If you've cracked open QuickBooks 2012, I'd love to hear your comments on what works or doesn't work.  I'm still waiting...and waiting...and waiting...for my review copy, but once I get it, I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.